Wanderers had to fight to end

The Heineken Sunday League had its last round of fixtures at the weekend and drew to an end its best season.  

There are a few reasons for the success this year, the main one being its competitive edge, and with no team running away with the championship the title was decided in the penultimate round of fixtures.  

Up to a few weeks out, four teams were still capable of winning the title.  

On any given weekend, sides were able to take points off each other, which kept the excitement going for players and spectators alike.  

The season also witnessed a record amount of goals scored with close to four and a half flying in per game.  

In the end, in was Triple Crown Wanderers who claimed the championship by four points over last season’s champions Harry’s.  

Wanderers built their success on a formidable defence that only conceded 17 all season.  

Wanderers’ captain Rob Moorhead said: “It was a tough season with four or five teams competing for the title and taking points off each other up to the last couple of games which made it exciting. But in the end, I think the strength of the Wanderers squad helped us to stay ahead of the rest and secure the title.  

“We’ve a really good mix of guys of all nationalities who bring different styles and attitudes to the team and with a potent strike force and solid midfield and defence I think the Wanderers are deserved champions.” 

To the weekend matches Wanderers won 3-0 against third-place Agua. 

Harry’s cemented second place against bottom of the table Old Boys, winning 12-0. The goals coming from Floyd “Irons” McKenzie who claimed four, a Jon Firstbrook hat trick, a brace from Mark Ingle and Chris Fenn, Phil Griffiths and Liam Brigend. Old Boys finished bottom with a goal difference of minus 72. 

Elsewhere, fourth place Maples Revolution slumped to a defeat to Shellaz in their match at the T.E. McField Annex. This was only the fourth win of the season for Shellaz and will give them much needed encouragement for next season.  

Maples scored first through James Kennedy from the penalty spot. Then Shellaz equalised before the break.  

After the interval Maples retook the lead through Ian Jamieson’s diving header. The game belonged to Shellaz from then on who won 4-2. 

Although CML Claymores and Latitude 19 Boca Juniors had nothing to play for, they nevertheless served up an entertaining match at Ed Bush.  

Boca’s striker Henry Mitchell opened the scoring on eight minutes and CML equalised on 60 minutes through Des Harris.  

Eight minutes later, Mitchell claimed his second but CML’s Linley struck an equaliser. Boca retook the lead for a third time four minutes later through Ariel Tatum.  

CML were awarded a last minute penalty kick and goalkeeper Ryan Ebanks was coolness personified as he expertly tucked it away for a 3-3 end. 

McKenzie’s four goals mean for the second year running he finished as Sunday League top scorer to win the Golden Boot Trophy with a fabulous 29 goals.  

Although the league campaign is over, there is the matter of the CML Cup final at the T.E. McField Annex this weekend.  

The top two teams in the league will be fighting it out with reigning holders Harry’s looking to retain the trophy while league champs Triple Crown Wanderers want the double. 

Comments are closed.