Ex-employee charged with bomb hoax

 A man accused of making a hoax bomb threat that led to the
evacuation last week of the Caribbean Club and the Ritz-Carlton hotel appeared
in court Friday.

James Bernie Williams, a former employee at Caribbean Club,
appeared in Summary Court on Friday morning on the charge of causing the bomb
hoax.

Crown Counsel Kaya Ball said approximately 800 guests and
staff members at the Ritz-Carlton hotel and 140 people at the Caribbean Club,
where a wedding ceremony was taking place, were evacuated due to the hoax bomb
phone call on Dec. 14.

She said Williams, 53, had at some stage been employed at
the Caribbean Club and had been dismissed or lost his employment.

Because causing a bomb hoax is a charge that can be dealt
with only in Grand Court, Magistrate Valdis Foldats  transmitted the
matter to the higher court where it will be mentioned on Jan. 6.

Defense attorney John Furniss applied for bail meanwhile so
that Williams could arrange care for his mother, 80.
Ms Ball said she would not object if there were strict conditions. Among those
conditions are a requirement for Williams not to consume or possess alcohol,
not to enter any liquor-licensed premises, observe a curfew and attend the
hospital withdrawal management unit on Dec.  27.

See Monday’s Caymanian Compass for more.

Courthouse Cayman
0
0

NO COMMENTS