The vast majority of Cayman Islands civil servants earn less than $50,000 per year, according to a government human resources report made public last month.
About 76 percent of civil servants earned less than $76,000 per year, and more than 50 percent of those working in the civil service earned less than $40,000 per year, the study revealed after breaking down pay among nearly 3,600 central government workers as of June 30, 2014.
Fewer than 1 percent of civil servants earned more than $100,000 per year, the large majority of whom were Caymanian, according to the report.
The civil service salary report showed that fewer than 200 people working in government made less than $20,000 per year. According to the report, the lowest paid worker in the civil service made $17,394 per year during the 2013/14 budget. Some 82 percent of government workers earned between $20,000 and $60,000 per year. Anyone earning more than $60,000 per year was well above the 90th percentile in government earnings, the report showed.
The highest paid civil servant, not counting the governor or Grand Court judges, made $160,020 as of June 30.
“The largest group of civil servants [1,042 people] earned in the $30,000 to $39,999 salary range,” the report noted.
According to data from the Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce, the average household income on Grand Cayman based on 2010 census records was approximately $52,500 – including private sector jobs, but not including average income figures for Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman.
However, the human resources report cautioned that comparing salaries between the government and private sector would not necessarily be a fair measure.
“The provision of medical benefits and pension [without employee contribution] should be noted when making comparisons on overall remuneration packages for civil servants with external organizations,” the report stated.
According to rates provided to the Cayman Compass as part of a recent Freedom of Information request, retired pensioner rates under Cayman Islands National Insurance Company plans range from $870 per month for non-married individuals, to $1,306 per month for non-married people with children, to $1,741 per month for married couples, and to $2,176 per month for the CINICO family plan. Similar rates for working civil servants are $416 per month for single adults, $832 per month for married couples, $832 per month also for single adults with children, and $1,242 per month for families.
Neither retired civil servants nor active government workers are required to make co-payments, so the monthly premiums are funded entirely by the government.
Both civil service plans under CINICO have a $5 million maximum “lifetime limit” for healthcare coverage. There are no limits on prescription drug purchases, in-patient or outpatient care. Overseas accommodations and airfare, if the covered government worker or retiree must fly elsewhere to obtain treatment, are covered 100 percent.
Who makes the money?
In the upper echelon of the civil service, within the seven highest pay grades – ranging from $77,700 per year at the lowest end to $160,000 at the higher end – there are a total of 146 employees.
According to the breakdown in the human resources report, 42 of those workers [about 29 percent] are non-Caymanian. The other 104 [71 percent] are Caymanian.
Those numbers mirror fairly closely the overall ratio of Caymanian to non-Caymanian workers in the civil service, currently 73 percent Caymanian to 27 percent non-Caymanian.
In the top three pay grades of the civil service, starting at $123,000 per year, there are five non-Caymanians and 18 Caymanians, a ratio of 78 percent Caymanian to 22 percent non-Caymanian.