A public demonstration is being planned to protest government’s decision to move forward with plans for cruise piers in George Town harbor.
Jessica Lopez, one of the organizers, said the aim is to show the level of public opposition to the project. The rally is planned for 3 p.m. on Oct. 17 on the waterfront by Hog Sty Bay.
She said protesters will bring placards and signs campaigning against dredging the harbor.
“We want to catch government’s attention and change their mind. We are hoping to get a large turnout. If we could get 1,000 people, that would be great.”
Ms. Lopez, a property manager at Grand View Condos, said the idea for the protest came from discussions between concerned citizens, the Save Cayman anti-port group and the Sustainable Cayman group.
“After the premier’s announcement, we realized we really need to step our game up and get out there and show them just how many people object to this,” she said. “I think a lot of people are talking about it, but we felt we needed to take action.”
She said the protest is being advertised through word of mouth and social media. Just after 1 p.m. Wednesday, 281 people had responded to a Facebook event invite, posted Tuesday night, indicating they would attend.
Keith Sahm of Sunset House and Save Cayman said police clearance has been obtained for the event. He said the protesters believe a port can be built in a responsible way without requiring any dredging.
Mr. Sahm added, “Since the premier made his announcement last week, … a lot of people [have] come out of the woodwork that hadn’t really spoken up before because they really didn’t think this was going to happen.”