A former deputy prison director alleges her firing from Her Majesty’s Prison Service in the Cayman Islands last year was illegal and should be voided by government.
The claims by Aduke Joseph-Caesar are made in an application for judicial review filed with the Grand Court on Jan. 27.
“The chief officer [of the Ministry of Home Affairs] acted illegally when he decided to, and did, conduct disciplinary proceedings,” the writ states, indicating that these proceedings should have been instituted by the prisons director, Neil Lavis.
Contacted Thursday, ministry Chief Officer Eric Bush said it would not be appropriate to comment on a matter before the court.
The application for judicial review, which must be accepted by the Grand Court prior to the case moving to a full hearing, seeks for the court to declare Ms. Joseph-Caesar’s firing void and to reinstate her to the prison service.
The claim also seeks payment of salary and pension contributions from the date the former deputy prisons director was terminated, Nov. 2, 2015.
Ms. Joseph-Caesar’s dismissal came following an internal inquiry into the discovery of a hidden camera in the office of another prisons manager. The camera was covertly recording from inside an air conditioning duct in the prison manager’s office.
Mr. Lavis said at the time that it was “regrettable” the prison manager’s privacy in the matter had been invaded.
Two other prison officers were suspended in connection with the same incident. It is understood that one of the officers has since been reinstated.