***Update, 1:15 p.m.***
Police advise that all traffic restrictions associated with the airport emergency exercise have been lifted.
The Civil Aviation Authority’s large-scale airport emergency exercise is now under way.
Involving several agencies and hundreds of participants (many wearing gory “makeup” to mimic injuries), the scenario is that a Boeing 727-200 cargo aircraft has “crash-landed” on the Smith Road Cricket Oval.
Motorists should be advised that the drill will cause various road closures around the airport.
According to police, the following roads will be affected:
- Agnes Way/Crewe Road (near RCIPS Traffic Office)
Traffic traveling from Crewe Road towards GT must turn right toward Linford Pierson
- Bobby Thompson/Smith Road Intersection
Traffic from Linford Pierson Highway must turn left toward George Town Hospital only
No right turn from Bobby Thompson
No traffic allowed straight onto Huldah Avenue
- Cayman National Bank Roundabout: Huldah/Elgin
No entry onto Huldah until 11:30AM, from Elgin Avenue only
- NAPA Roundabout: Dorcy Drive/Crewe Road
Dorcy to Crewe: right turn only
- No access to Airport: Road blocked at Breezy Way Intersection on Airport Road
- Red Gate Road onto Owen Roberts Drive (Airport Road)
Exit blocked toward airport only
Visit the Compass website for more updates as they become available.