Local teams undefeated on opening day of CAL U-14 Cup

Sunset FC’s Christian Dyer (26) sends a header wide of the goal.

Academy Sports Club and Sunset FC were unbeaten on the opening day of the Cayman Airways U-14 Invitational Youth Cup on Monday at the Truman Bodden Sports Complex.

Sunset FC 0, REV Soccer Club 0

The first match of the day, between Sunset FC and Minnesota’s REV Soccer Club was halted for 45 minutes due to weather. When the game resumed, scoreless, REV pressed offensively, spurred on by Ben Lessert up front, and Owen Johnson sailed one to the right of the Sunset goal late in the first.

Strong defensive play by both sides and a strong effort between the pipes by Lucas Burke for Sunset thwarted other opportunities for scoring.

Academy SC 4, IFFDC 1

Academy SC took the early advantage over their opponents from Dallas, Texas, thanks to a seventh minute goal from forward Jahmai Griffiths. Moments later, in an effort to double the lead, Griffiths collided with IFFDC keeper Connor Bryant, who suffered an injury to his leg and was helped off the pitch. Griffiths was issued a yellow card for the challenge.

Academy SC plays strongly against their opponents from Dallas, Texas.
Academy SC plays strongly against their opponents from Dallas, Texas.

Two minutes before the break, Harrison Hew found the back of the net to give his side a two-goal lead. Four minutes into the second half, Griffiths got his second score. Corey Smith added a fourth for Academy in the 68th. Substitute Luis Sloane scored for IFFDC in the 70th and denied Maxwell Twighta clean sheet.

Dwayne Atkinson, right, helps Cavalier SC push the pace against Gillingham.
Dwayne Atkinson, right, helps Cavalier SC push the pace against Gillingham.

Gillingham FC 0, Cavalier Soccer Club 2

The nightcap featured Gillingham from the U.K. and Jamaica’s Cavalier Soccer Club.

Grant Odejeh had the first good chance of the game but failed to put Gillingham ahead when his header from inside the box missed the mark. Dwayne Atkinson and Jamari Morrison each had chances, but defensive efforts from Gillingham, particularly by Tom Halliday and Charlie Banks, denied them any chance of conversion and the first half ended scoreless.

Cavalier’s Shanthamoi Brown came back to find himself one-on-one with Gillingham keeper Joe Walsh, dribbled around him and tapped it into the net to give the Jamaicans the advantage.

Tahje Tulloch doubled the lead in the 51st minute. Despite a few chances for both teams, nothing else was able to find its way past the keepers.

Play was due to resume Tuesday.

If you value our service, if you have turned to us in the past few days or weeks for verified, factual updates, if you have watched our live streaming of press conferences or sent an article to a friend... please consider a donation. Quality local journalism was at risk before the coronavirus crisis. It is now deeply threatened. Even a small amount can go a long way to sustaining our mission of informing the public. We need our readers’ financial support now more than ever.