Caymanian police commanders will not take top cop job

Both top commanders in the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service said they did not apply for the permanent police commissioner’s post.

Preliminary interviews for the new commissioner ended last week, according to representatives of the governor’s office, and a short-list of potential hires was confirmed.

Follow-up interviews with the short-listed candidates were being arranged, the governor’s office indicated.

Chief Superintendent Kurt Walton said he did not apply for the commissioner’s job since he was recently promoted to the deputy police commissioner’s post. He is expected to take up the deputy’s post near the end of September.

Acting Commissioner Anthony Ennis confirmed Thursday that he had not applied to be the next commissioner of police.

Another former Caymanian police officer, Customs Collector Charles Clifford, acknowledged last month that he had been “encouraged” to apply for the top cop job, but he said he did not apply, as he had taken up the collector’s position only a year ago.

Cayman was left without a permanent police commissioner last month when former Commissioner David Baines departed a year before the end of his contract.

Mr. Baines cited “a political plot” to oust him from the position, and Governor Helen Kilpatrick agreed that “defamatory statements” and “a barrage of unfair criticism” in early 2016 made Mr. Baines’s position untenable.

A motion of “no confidence” in the management of governance of the RCIPS was brought to the Legislative Assembly after Mr. Baines’s announced departure. The no-confidence motion failed when a majority did not support it. The motion had also sought the installment of a Caymanian police commissioner.