Public health officials Tuesday evening announced the first confirmed case of Zika in a pregnant woman on island.
Dr. Samuel Williams Rodriguez, Cayman’s acting medical officer of health, said his department has confirmed seven new cases of the virus known to cause severe birth defects in babies born to infected women.
Five of the new laboratory-confirmed cases are from local transmission, bringing the total number of confirmed local cases to 17.
Dr. Williams Rodriguez was speaking at a town hall meeting in George Town Tuesday evening meant to give the public a chance to learn more about Zika and ask questions to health and mosquito control experts.
Timothy McLaughlin-Munro, with the Public Health Department, said there are another 15 suspected cases that were not tested.
All of the confirmed cases so far have been in George Town.
See Thursday’s Cayman Compass for the full story and go to caymancompass.com/zika for more coverage of the virus.