It may be at least another six months before Cayman’s Jeffrey Webb learns his fate in the ongoing FIFA corruption probe.
Webb pleaded guilty in 2015 to seven counts of criminal conduct in relation to what prosecutors said was a decades-long bribery racket.
Webb’s attorney Edward O’Callaghan filed a request with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York on Wednesday asking the court to adjourn the sentencing date – now set for Nov. 18 – for “approximately six months.”
Mr. O’Callaghan stated no reason for the delay request, but noted that U.S. federal prosecutors had “no objection to the proposed adjournment” when he discussed matters with them.
If the court agrees to the adjournment, it would be the second time Webb’s sentencing has been put off.
Webb pleaded guilty in November 2015 to seven counts of criminal conduct in relation to what prosecutors said was a decades-long bribery racket. Webb pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy, three counts of wire fraud conspiracy and three counts of money laundering conspiracy.
The scheme described by U.S. prosecutors allege that Webb and others at FIFA – world football’s governing body – solicited bribes from sports marketing companies in exchange for directing lucrative broadcasting and commercial rights deals for various football tournaments to the bribe-payers. Dozens of U.S. banks were used to make the alleged bribe payments to Webb and others, prosecutors said. Webb faces up to 20 years in prison on the racketeering charge alone.
FIFA’s Ethics Committee also found Webb guilty earlier this year of violating general rules of conduct, rules of loyalty, rules for disclosure and financial reporting, conflicts of interest and bribery and corruption. He has been banned for life from “all football-related activities on a national and international level.”