Wanderers, Luca top Sunday Football League

Maples’ midfielder Colm Flanagan was on the score sheet.

As the Sunday Football League heads to its winter break, OtisAir Wanderers defeated Bounty Hunters Sunday at the Annex, and Luca beat Maples Revolution.

After an evenly contested first half, the Wanderers’ keeper pulled off a reflex save to push a shot onto the post, and at the other end a Wanderers’ “goal” was subsequently ruled out by the referee due to a challenge on the keeper. The Wanderers then piled on the pressure, breaking the deadlock on 60 minutes with a goal worthy to win any game, organizers said in a press release.

Kenarado “Alvez” Smith’s chip from outside the area caught the Hunters’ keeper marginally off his line and the ball dipped just below the crossbar to put his side one up. The Wanderers had to remain vigilant to the Hunters’ counterattack, and despite not finding the back of the net again, they held on to their lead to win 1-0.

Maples Revolution and Luca produced a thriller in the second match, with Luca winning 3-2. In the first half, Colm Flanagan scored a near post header at a corner kick.

In the second half, Luca found their finishing touch when Mark Knight latched onto a long ball to loft it over the out-rushing Maples keeper to tie it at 1-1. Maples responded 12 minutes later – again from a set piece – when Elliot Power fired home from a free kick on the edge of the box, which resulted in a yellow card for the Luca defender.

- Advertisement -
Maples second goal came from Elliot Powers’ direct free kick.
Maples second goal came from Elliot Powers’ direct free kick.

Luca equalized again, 10 minutes from time, and then Damian Williams got the final touch to the ball, which wrote the script for Jon Borges Da Silva to fire home Luca’s winning goal from a tight angle into the far corner with three minutes left to complete a remarkable comeback.

League leaders Boca Juniors dominated Harry’s in their match at Ed Bush after scoring early in the fifth minute.

Striker Ray Hydes scored first and eventually took a 3-0 lead into the interval after Hydes claimed his second and Daniele Fabiano made it three on the stroke of halftime. Harry’s struggled to contain Boca’s firepower as they went 4-0 down after Giuseppe Coco converted a penalty on 57 minutes. Harry’s managed to reply with what turned out to be a consolation goal five minutes from time when Floyd “Irons” McKenzie scored his own penalty to finish the match 4-1.

Fidel’s Old Boys, looking to pick up their second win of the season, made a quick start in their match with King’s Head at Ed Bush when Stefan Kormos fired them ahead on five minutes.

Their lead lasted only four minutes, when Ben Hobden made it 1-1, and then just two minutes later King’s Head went up 2-1 through Baron Solomon. Courtney Maylor equalized for the Old Boys, with the score 2-2 on 19 minutes, and the players barely had time to catch their breath as James Cooper scored and an own goal by Dan Haydon gave King’s Head a 4-2 lead before the break.

After the interval, King’s Head controlled the match, allowing Cooper to score a second goal, rounding off the game at 5-2.

The Physiotherapy Cup rounds start on Jan. 8.

- Advertisement -

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now