Former government minister Michael Thomas Adam will have to wait until August before his trial for common assault can resume
Mr. Adam pleaded not guilty to a charge of common assault, following an incident that occurred on June 27 last year.
The complainant is a man who owns property next to his in West Bay. The men met at the property line to witness the placement of property markers by a surveyor and words were exchanged.
When the trial began in March, the complainant told the court that Mr. Adam “placed his right fist against my cheek with slight pressure.”
Mr. Adam, in his evidence, said he did raise his fist during an encounter with the complainant, but it was in self-defense. He explained that he felt insulted when the complainant called him “senile” and felt threatened by the man’s aggressive behavior.
Defense attorney Waide DaCosta told Magistrate Grace Donalds he had witnesses to call and the matter was adjourned until Thursday, April 26. On that date, however, it was not possible to proceed and a new date was canvassed.
This proved difficult, in part because the magistrate serves part-time and has a schedule that includes weeks devoted to Traffic Court apart from criminal matters. Also to be considered was the schedule of Crown counsel Kenneth Ferguson, along with Mr. DaCosta’s own commitments.
The date finally agreed on was Monday, Aug. 27.
Mr. Adam, whose government ministry included community affairs and housing from 2009-2013, is now 68. The complainant is 42.