One employer was commended last week and two others were encouraged to continue progress in settling wage and pension charges against them.

Lincoln Robinson, trading as H & A Maintenance and Construction, was the first to hear from Magistrate Philippa McFarlane. She had been told by attorney Richard Barton that, “Amounts being paid have met the satisfaction of the Department of Labour.”

According to the charges, one employee had been owed $6,002.88 in overtime between March 2014 and November 2015; that amount had been paid in full, Mr. Barton reported.

There were three other charges of failing to pay overtime and four charges of failure to pay public holiday remuneration. Those claims had totaled over $23,000, but Mr. Robinson had made considerable progress in paying what was owed, so that there was a balance of around $9,000.

Mr. Barton asked if the case could be adjourned for two months.

The magistrate told Mr. Robinson, “I commend you for making the payments you have made thus far.” She set his next date for Dec. 5 in the hope the matter could be resolved by then.

Santos Alexis Hynds-Calix, trading as Cotton Club, entered guilty pleas to three sets of charges: seven counts of failure to furnish a statement of wages; five counts of failing to make a contribution to a pension plan for employees; two counts relating to failure to make pension contributions for himself and his wife. The charges related to all of the calendar year 2017.

Defense attorney John Furniss pointed out that Mr. Santos had pleaded guilty in August to six counts of failing to pay the national minimum wage between August and November 2017. The amounts claimed ranged between $1,740 to $7,975.

He indicated that precise figures were being discussed with the Department of Labour. This matter was also set for mention again on Dec. 5.

Vinroy Alston Wilson, formerly trading as Wilson Total Plumbing, faced charges of failing without reasonable cause to contribute to a pension plan for employees and failing to pay arrears within the time given by the Superintendent of Pensions. Details alleged that, at least in two cases, pension payments had not been made between April 2006 and January 2012.

Mr. Furniss told the court that approximately $15,000 had been paid; what was owed was down to $10,000. He pointed out that Mr. Wilson had suffered a stroke and his son had taken over the business.

The matter was set for mention again on Oct. 18.

A representative from the Department of Labour and Pensions was present in court for the cases.

Comments are closed.