Cuban migrants transferred from Brac to detention center

Eleven Cuban migrants landed on Cayman Brac Friday morning after being out on the sea for six days. - Photo: Provided

The 11 Cuban migrants who were found off the shores of Cayman Brac last week are now being held at the Immigration Detention Centre, government announced on Friday.

The group, nine males and two females, was transferred from the Brac to Grand Cayman on Thursday, according to government.

The migrants were found by Immigration and Customs officers in a broken-down vessel in Cayman Brac waters on Sept. 28.

Due to safety concerns, the boat and its occupants were towed to shore, and the group was assessed by local physicians, government said.

However, one of the migrants wired his own mouth shut in what other migrants said they believed was part of a hunger strike.

The Compass understands that the individual is at the Immigration Detention Centre, being monitored separately from the other Cubans.

In July, the Human Rights Commission inspected the center, finding filthy conditions including rotten food, dirty and stopped-up toilets, moldy or damaged showers and inadequate fire prevention systems.

Government said on Friday that since that inspection, “officials have conducted repairs and renovations as necessary to ensure the facility is a safe, suitable, clean and a healthy environment for all occupants.”