The Port Authority’s deputy director James Parsons has retired from the role.
The announcement comes 18 months after he was cleared of wrongdoing following an internal government inquiry into allegations of sexual harassment.
An Internal Audit Service report in July said the complaints against Parsons lacked merit and were found to be unsubstantiated.
Though the report did not specifically name Parsons, he was identified in various media reports and sources have confirmed to the Cayman Compass that the unsubstantiated allegations were levelled at him.
In a brief statement Monday, the Port Authority confirmed his retirement, effective 24 Dec.
“The Board and Management extends its appreciation to Mr. Parsons for his many years of dedicated service at the Port Authority,” the statement said.
Parsons had been on leave for an extended period prior to his retirement.
The Internal Audit Service in its July 2018 report raised issues around the Port Authority’s handling of sensitive complaints, but found no substance to the allegations themselves.
The auditors wrote, “The complaint in its original form lacks merit and is found to be unsubstantiated. The review did however yield a subset of legitimate behavioural issues which need to be addressed. This subset of issues does not constitute sexual harassment….
“The lack of employee awareness regarding the manner in which to raise and communicate issues of a sensitive and personal nature coupled with management’s failure to address such issues have contributed to an unhealthy work environment.”
At the time, the Port Authority accepted the findings of the audit and committed to a series of measures, including staff ‘sensitivity training’ to address some of the issues raised.