Burglar gets probation, community service

Police investigating a burglary report traced a car rental receipt found inside a Snug Harbour home in February.

The receipt led them to Mark Melado Llewellyn, who agreed he had been inside the premises. He said he had been looking for a place to rent and the house had a For Rent sign outside.

Llewellyn told officers he drove into the carport and knocked on the door. He found the door was open, so he went inside to look.

An occupant of the house said a number of dresser drawers had been pulled out in a bedroom. The car rental receipt had been found on the bed in that same room.

In Summary Court on 24 May, Llewellyn was sentenced after pleading guilty to a charge of burglary of the Snug Harbour residence. He also pleaded guilty to a charge of attempted burglary at a George Town apartment.

In that incident, also in February, the occupant found Llewellyn at the premises with a screwdriver. He asked what he was doing there and Llewellyn said he was trying to fix the door lock.

The occupant said the lock had not been broken, but Llewellyn maintained that the landlord had sent him to fix it.

Police were summoned and they found that the lock had been dug off, rather than broken.

Those were facts heard by Magistrate Grace Donalds, as narrated by Crown Counsel Gail Johnson.

Defence Attorney Nicholas Dixey told the court that this was Llewellyn’s first conviction for burglary. In both instances, nothing had been taken and there was little or no damage.

For a first offence, in a case that went to trial, the sentence could be 12 months, Mr. Dixey said. But Llewellyn had pleaded guilty. He should be made to repay the community rather than be a burden to it, the attorney suggested.

Llewellyn, 26, had been in custody for three months and the experience had made a profound impression on him; he was not anxious to go back into custody, Mr. Dixey said.

When the 2007 charges were brought to court in March, three sets of charges from 2002 were also brought.

Two pertained to a domestic relationship and the third was failure to surrender to custody. Mr. Dixey noted Llewellyn’s guilty pleas and the Crown’s agreement to having others lie on file.

Ms Johnson said the initial offences occurred in August 2002, but did not get dealt with because Llewellyn did not attend court when the matter was listed for hearing in October 2002.

The magistrate dealt with the 2002 offences by sentencing Llewellyn to one month imprisonment for threatening violence, one month concurrent for carrying an offensive weapon and two months for failing to surrender. She gave him credit for time served.

For the burglary, she placed him on probation for two years, with conditions that he complies with requests for random urine tests, that he meet with a drug counsellor and attend counselling sessions as directed.

For the attempted burglary, she directed that he perform 150 hours of community service.

Comments are closed.