Man arrested in fatal wreck

Police have arrested the driver of a van who was involved in Monday’s deadly head on collision near Camana Bay.

The crash on the Esterley Tibbetts Highway killed a 39-year-old Australian national, and injured a year-old child who was with her in the Honda CRV she drove. The child was treated and released from hospital Monday, according to Health Services Authority spokesperson Caswell Walford.

The 37-year-old driver of the Ford E-350 van has been detained on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He is an employee of the Red Sail Sports company and was driving one of their vehicles.

No charges had been filed in the accident as of press time.

Police were still investigating the crash Tuesday. According to witnesses at the scene, it appeared the van was attempting to pass a car on the two-lane Esterley bypass near the Camana Bay roundabout when it slammed into the CRV, which was heading in the opposite direction.

Police said the CRV was travelling south bound on the Esterley while the van was heading north bound. Officers could not confirm witness accounts that the van was attempting to overtake a vehicle when the accident happened, but said they were looking into that possibility.

According to Royal Cayman Islands Police Sergeant Angela Messam, the area of the road where the crash occurred has a dotted or ‘continuous’ white line, which means passing is allowed there.

The fatality is the ninth deadly accident to occur this year on Cayman Islands roads.

‘This is clearly a very sad day as another life is lost on the road,’ said RCIPS Chief Inspector Courtney Myles who was investigating the wreck.

The crash happened around 1:30pm Monday and police closed the Esterley Tibbetts in both directions shortly thereafter. The north-bound lane of the road was reopened around five in the afternoon. The south-bound lane didn’t open until the vehicles were removed after 7pm.

Traffic jams extended from central George Town at the Butterfield roundabout to Public Beach on West Bay Road Monday afternoon. By five o’clock traffic headed toward West Bay had thinned somewhat, but inbound traffic toward George Town was still bumper to bumper.

Comments are closed.