Retrial scheduled

A charge of causing death by dangerous driving will be tried again, Crown Counsel Kirsty-Ann Gunn told Justice Priya Levers on Friday.

Alexander Diaz, 22, is charged with causing the death of Jonathon Michael Jones, 18, in an incident along the Linford Pierson Highway in the early hours of 13 August, 2006.

A trial earlier this month resulted in a hung jury.

In a seven-member jury, at least five must agree on a verdict; jurors in Diaz’ case deadlocked at 4 and 3.

Mrs. Gunn said the earliest available date for a new trial was 30 June 2008.

Defence Attorney Scott Wilson asked for a mention again on 8 February to see if an earlier date opened up.

Comments are closed.