Welder sparked Lakeside fire

Cayman Islands Fire Service officials confirmed Thursday that embers from a welding torch that was left unattended were responsible for starting the massive three story blaze at Lakeside condos last week.

Chief Fire Officer Dennom Bodden said it appeared the embers caught onto some flammable materials on one of the lower floors of the unfinished building causing flames to spread quickly to the third floor.

Damage to the building, which is part of the second phase of the Lakeside development, was severe. Managers from Lakeside’s developer had not returned phone messages all week about how the fire would affect the new development.

There were no injuries in the fire.

0
0

NO COMMENTS