Cayman in brief

Ag office closed

The Department of Agriculture’s Lower Valley Office will be closed on Thursday between the hours of 8am and 11.30am for a full staff meeting. This closure will only affect the sales and administrative sections. The office will reopen at noon.

Commercial plates

Department of Vehicle and Drivers’ Licensing officials remind residents that fees for commercial or trade licence plates are now due.

The fees, which may either be paid annually or quarterly, should be submitted to any of the three DVDL offices – Elgin Avenue, Walkers Road or at Banks Plaza in West Bay.

Payments may be made in cash, by credit and debit card, or by cheque. Fees are as follows:

$1,280.00 annually or $320 quarterly for the first set of plates;

$760 annually or $190 quarterly for the second set of plates; and

$520 annually or $130 quarterly for the third set of plates.

Quarterly fees this year will fall due at the beginning of each quarter on 1 April, 1 July, and 1 October.

In accordance with section 19 of the Traffic Law (2003 Revision), trade plates are renewable annually, and each holder may have no more than three plates at any one time.

For more information on fees and payments, contact the Department of Vehicle and Drivers’ Licensing at 945-8355 or 945-8344.

Sunday dancing

Following reports of breaches of the law, the Liquor Licensing Board is reminding holders of liquor licenses that bars and nightclubs are not permitted to have music and dancing on Sundays.

Chairman of the Board Mitchell Welds has warned persons that this violation of the law will not be tolerated, adding that license holders found in breach of the Music and Dancing Law run the risk of losing their licenses.

While hotels and restaurants are permitted to have pre-recorded music of a soft background nature, this is not to be heard beyond the boundaries of the property on which the music is played and dancing is not permitted, he said.

If it is a matter of misinterpreting the law, now is the time to seek clarification from the Liquor Licensing Office.