Man bailed in stabbing

Andre Nicholas Burton, 23, was granted bail on Thursday after appearing in Summary Court on charges relating to an incident in which a man was stabbed in the back at Peppers Night Club.

He is accused of assault causing actual bodily harm and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm on the night of 18-19 March, Tuesday into Wednesday.

Defence Attorney Edward Renvoize made the bail application, saying the Crown did not object and any conditions imposed would be strictly complied with.

Crown Counsel Richard Barton told Magistrate Grace Donalds he had reviewed the file and spoken to the investigating officer, who was responsible for the Crown’s position.

Mr. Barton asked for two conditions: that Burton not contact the victim and that he be placed under curfew from 8pm to 6am. The curfew was for the defendant’s own safety as well as the safety of the complainant, he observed.

The magistrate told Burton what the conditions meant – that he must stay away from the complainant and not contact him directly or indirectly; that he must live and sleep each night at his specified premises and observe the curfew hours.

She set the matter for mention again on Thursday, 10 April.

A news release from the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service said the 911 Emergency Centre received a call around 1.45am on Wednesday, 19 March, from a relative of the victim, reporting that he had been taken to the George Town Hospital. Police responded and found that the man, 25, had received a serious stab wound to his back.