Three top ranking Cayman Islands Police commanders, including Commissioner Stuart Kernohan, have been placed on notice that they are now under investigation for alleged misconduct in a public office.
The allegation against Mr. Kernohan, Deputy Commissioner Rudolph Dixon and Chief Superintendent John Jones relates to ‘their roles in the events’ which culminated in an unauthorised entry at the office of Cayman Net News publisher Desmond Seales on 3 September, 2007.
None of the three men have been charged with any crimes. Former Net News employee Lyndon Martin was charged last month in connection with a burglary at Mr. Seales’ office. However, police have said that burglary occurred in August.
Another Net News employee was allegedly involved in the 3 September entry at Mr. Seales’ office. That individual has never been charged with any crime.
UK Metropolitan Police looking into the case also said that Mr. Dixon and a former Royal Cayman Islands Police officer were arrested Thursday morning in connection with other allegations unrelated to the misconduct probe.
Chief Investigating Officer Martin Bridger said there were, in effect, two separate investigations being conducted by his team of nine officers. He declined to discuss the nature of the activities that led to the arrest of Mr. Dixon and the other unnamed former officer. He stressed again that neither man had been charged in connection with that case.
‘We have now reached the stage where…we have reasonable grounds to suspect Mr. Dixon of being involved in other criminality,’ Mr. Bridger said. ‘When you start investigations of this kind, inevitably other matters are exposed.’
Mr. Bridger said a number of people had come forward and spoken with his team about alleged breaches of integrity within the RCIPS. He said these people had an ‘expectation and confidence’ that their matters would be dealt with.