A toddler suffered serious burns on her lower legs after police said she jumped onto a concealed beach fire that was left smouldering just west of Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac earlier this month.
Two-year-old Naomi Carter was out with her family for Father’s Day, 15 June, when she was burned. Family members said she has had two surgeries to repair the damage and has since been flown to a Miami hospital for specialist care.
Royal Cayman Islands Police officers investigating the incident said it appeared someone had set a fire on the beach the night before and simply covered it with sand instead of putting the flames out properly.
Although beach fires can legally be set if they are contained in grills or a barbecue pit, open fires set on the beach are illegal under the Towns and Communities Law (1995 Revision).
Cayman Brac police ask anyone with information on who may have started the fire to contact the police station at 948-0331.
If anyone in the community would like to make a donation to assist in defraying the cost of Naomi’s medical expenses, the family has asked that it be sent to Cayman National Bank, where a special account numbered #012-32146 has been set up.