Man charged with BK robbery

An American with Caymanian status appeared in Summary Court on Thursday charged with robbery at the Burger King Restaurant on North Church Street.

James Christopher Forsythe, 36, is further charged with possession of a restricted weapon – a long knife – at night, in connection with the incident, which occurred on 20 June.

Magistrate Grace Donalds remanded Forsythe in custody after hearing the Crown’s objections to bail.

Crown Counsel Jenesha Bhoorasingh-Simpson said Forsythe was arrested after a man went into Burger King around 11.45pm and placed an order with the cashier. She repeated it and he became upset and began to use profanity.

The cashier alerted the supervisor, who told the man he would not be served if he continued in that manner. He left, but returned a few minutes later with a very long knife.

He jumped over the counter, brandishing the knife. The cashier and others made their way further back.

It was alleged he picked up a Whopper, a chicken sandwich and an apple pie and then walked away. He was seen leaving on a bicycle.

Police were called and given a description, including the man’s clothing. Officers picked up Forsythe about 20 minutes later.

Interviewed two days later, Forsythe said he was so drunk he did not know what had happened.

Mrs. Bhoorasingh-Simpson said the Crown was concerned that, if bailed, Forsythe might commit further offences. Although he had status, both his parents were deceased, so his ties to Cayman were limited, she told the court.

Defence Attorney John Furniss had suggested a curfew and a requirement to stay out of licensed premises, pointing out that Forsythe had a place to stay and an employer willing to keep him on the job as a carpenter.

After the magistrate withheld bail on grounds that included a likelihood of failure to surrender, Mr. Furniss asked for a preliminary inquiry.

He said the PI could be held on Monday, as he would accept copies of handwritten witness statements rather than wait fore typed copies. That way, Forsythe could be committed to Grand Court for the session beginning Wednesday, 2 July. Otherwise Forsythe would have to wait until the October opening.

Mr. Furniss agreed it was a serious matter. He noted, however, that having jumped over the counter all Forsythe took was food. He said it was a matter that would go to trial.

Comments are closed.