WB, GT, Savannah in good shape

Though streets remained littered with debris and curious passers-by had to be kept back from certain high-water locations, it appeared the districts of West Bay and George Town, as well as the Savannah-Prospect area fared relatively well in Hurricane Gustav.

The Newlands area near the North Sound experienced some flooding problems as canals began to rise in the early morning hours, causing water to get into a few homes. Power was also out to that area for most of the overnight period.

George Town and West Bay saw some intermittent power outages through the storm as well. What was thought to be a large transformer explosion in George Town lit up the sky early Saturday morning as Gustav rolled in. Car and building alarms could be heard throughout the town as winds picked up.

The Cayman Islands Fire Service stopped responding to calls briefly around 2am until the worst of the storm passed. Safety concerns also prevented Caribbean Utilities Crews from responding during the storm.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service never requested Governor Stuart Jack to order a curfew. However, residents were urged to stay indoors during the storm for their own safety. Government gave the all-clear just after 11am Saturday.

By dawn, the storm had lessened but rough seas sent waves into the Harbour Drive sea wall, sloshing water 10 to 15 feet into the air above the barriers and onto the street. Later in the day, on-lookers who were taking photographs and getting splashed by the waves were moved back while police cordoned off the area for safety reasons.

Palm tree leaves, sand, dirt and other debris could be seen coating West Bay Road at around 6.30am Saturday. A thin coating of sand had been swept across West Bay Road at Public Beach, but the sand did not impede travel.

The situation was much the same through out West Bay, with debris covering parts of the roads but no major flooding.

The patio of the Macabuca bar on North West Point Road was awash for most of the morning as high seas again sent waves crashing over the iron shore. Business managers were forced to block off the entire parking lot of the Cracked Conch restaurant to keep people at a safe distance.

Emergency crews also had problems removing some of their vehicles from the area north of Bobby Thompson Way in George Town because some motorists had blocked their vehicles in. However, it was believed no responses were delayed because of the situation.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now