The Cayman Islands National Recovery Fund is planning assistance to those on the Sister Islands who were adversely affected by Hurricane Gustav.
Application forms for assistance are being forwarded to the District Administrator’s office in Cayman Brac and the District Officer in Little Cayman, for completion by prospective applicants.
The same criteria used for Hurricane Ivan will be utilised to ascertain qualified applicants, namely that:
• Damage must be as a direct result of Hurricane Gustav and not a result of lack of maintenance or prior damage
• The property must have been completely uninsured
• Applicants must be able to show that their total household income is such that they cannot be reasonably expected to obtain finance nor self fund the cost of the repairs from savings, loans or other means
Grant funds will not normally be made available to:
• those who are in rented accommodation, nor for landlords, nor those in strata accommodation.
• those who have or are awaiting insurance settlements including the underinsured
The Fund does not make direct grants to householders, but rather directly funds qualified contractors based on competitive estimates.
Homeowners must agree to the contract prior to the commencement of work and sign off that they are satisfied with the work done upon completion, before final payment in made to the contractor. .
The executive director of the fund, Mark Laskin, will visit Cayman Brac today to assist those who have difficulty filling out the applications; assess damages and meet potential contractors.
Mr Laskin will be in the District Administration Office in Cayman Brac from 10.30am to 4.30pm on Tuesday. Those on Little Cayman who feel they may be eligible for assistance and those in Cayman Brac who wish to make an appointment or get further information should call Mr Laskin on 943-3863.