Gas explosion hurts two

A woman is in a critical condition in hospital after an overnight gas explosion at a house in West Bay overnight.

Fire Services received a call just before 9pm reporting the explosion at a house on Watercourse Road.

Two occupants were treated at the scene before the 32-year-old woman was taken by ambulance to the Cayman Islands Hospital with first, second and third degree burns.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer Doorly McLaughlin said the blast ripped through an upstairs kitchen in the two-storey house and caused structural damage to the building.

Fire officers blamed the explosion on a faulty connection to a gas tank, which was located under the kitchen stove.

‘The O-ring or seal was missing from it,’ Mr. McLaughlin said. ‘That’s why the gas leaked out and accumulated inside the building, causing the explosion,’ he said.

It’s the fourth explosion Fire Services have attended this year that has been blamed on unsafe gas installations.

Mr. McLaughlin said it is against the law and dangerous to store gas tanks inside.

‘It is totally illegal and a very dangerous practice,’ he said. ‘People have to exercise caution and stop using these things inside the house.’

Planning department officials said they are worried about the number of illegal do-it-yourself gas installations they are hearing of around Grand Cayman. They warned that all gas installation must be inspected and approved by the Planning Department.

For more, see Friday’s Caymanian Compass.

0
0

NO COMMENTS