Violent 36 hours

Between early Friday and mid-Saturday Royal Cayman Islands Police were investigating at least three violent incidents in which weapons were used.

violent 36 hours

Police work the scene of an early morning police car shoot-up along Shedden Road early Saturday morning.
Photo Sherry VanWey

The latest involved shots being fired at a Royal Cayman Islands Police patrol car.

The vehicle was part of a police convoy driving down Shedden Road near the intersection of Dr. Roys Drive around 3.15am Saturday.

The police convoy was believed to be part of an operation by the George Town police ‘Hot Spot’ team.

According to information obtained by the Compass, a bullet was fired through the back windshield of a police vehicle.

A police press release indicated that several gunshots were fired in the area at the time. It was believed the police car was the target of the shooting.

A special constable inside the police vehicle sustained minor injuries and was treated and released from hospital early Saturday.

No arrests had been reported in the incident by press time.

Police had a wide area cordoned off around Shedden Road Saturday morning. Armed officers were maintaining order in the area where more than a hundred onlookers had gathered.

The police car shoot-up happened just a short distance from where RCIPS officers had raided a Mary Street home on Friday morning.

Police said one man arrested in that raid was connected to an armed robbery at the Walkers Road Texaco convenience store that occurred around 2.15am Friday.

There were also reports that a cache of weapons had been recovered at the Mary Street address. However, police declined to discuss any details of the operation.

A total of four men were arrested in connection with the Texaco station robbery. None had been charged by press time.

The lone gunman in the heist, who police said had three accomplices with him, swiped cash from the register while holding what appeared to be a submachine gun to the store clerk’s head, according to witnesses.

‘(The suspect) put the gun up to the cashier’s head…and he gave him the money and then (the suspect) left,’ said store manager David Wight.

Mr. Wight said there were some customers in the 24-hour store when the robbery occurred, but no one was hurt.

The store clerk who was threatened during the heist called Mr. Wight to report the crime and then went back to work.

‘The same cashier who was robbed, he just kept on working,’ Mr. Wight said. ‘I don’t think we lost too much business.’

About 30 minutes after the robbery, police arrested three men in connection with the case who were in a vehicle that had stopped in the Appleby law firm parking lot.

Later Friday morning, the fourth man was arrested on Mary Street.

Mr. Wight said he was thankful no one had been injured in the heist. He said a few years ago, a store clerk at the Texaco had his throat cut during a robbery. That clerk survived, but required hospital care.

The armed suspect involved in Friday’s robbery had his image captured on store surveillance cameras, Mr. Wight said.

Mr. Wight said police had been given the surveillance tape and were at the store early Friday morning investigating the heist.

In another violent incident overnight Friday, several men were injured during a street brawl in the vicinity of Pirates’ Bar in East End.

One of those injured in the fight was allegedly stabbed. At least two of those injured required hospital treatment for non-life threatening injuries.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now