Trash collection slowly returns to normal

Collections of garbage in residential areas are returning to normal this week, but commercial collections are still proving problematic.

According to Director of Environmental Health Roydell Carter, the schedules of trash pick-up in the districts are back to the normal twice-a-week collections.

Staff shortages within the department had led to collections dropping off to once a week or less in recent weeks.

‘Regarding residential areas, we have been on schedule since Saturday. Today we’re collecting in George Town,’ he said on Tuesday.

‘We have all the crews working very diligently cleaning those areas. Everything is back to normal.’

But on the commercial side, he admitted about 10 per cent of collections were still not on schedule.

‘The commercial waste, we [have collected] about 90 per cent. We’ll service that between today and tomorrow [Tuesday and Wednesday] in the outstanding areas,’ he said.

One area designated as commercial, although two of its three phases have been completed and the residential apartments already occupied, is Lantern Point in Prospect Point, where garbage has been overflowing out of skips for two weeks.

The department has taken on temporary workers and its crews and trucks have been working double shifts to clear the backlog of garbage that had built up around Grand Cayman.

Mr. Carter said seven new permanent staff had been hired since last week.

Previously there had been eight teams of three staff – one driver and two collectors – but this was reduced to five teams across the Island due to staff shortages over recent weeks.

With seven new staff members, the crew numbers are returning to their full complement, but Mr. Carter said he was still in the process of hiring drivers for trucks.

Some trucks are being used for double shifts when others are not operational, he said.

0
0

NO COMMENTS