Police identify shooting victim

Police have confirmed that the man found dead outside a George Town bar on Tuesday morning was Fabian Mark Powell.

shooting welly's

Police investigate the crime scene behind Wellys Cool Spot where 27-year-old Fabian Powells body was discovered Tuesday morning. Photo: Jewel Levy

Powell’s body was found on the ground behind Welly’s Cool Spot on Sound Way at 8.30am on Tuesday.

Police have classified the case as murder.

Powell appeared to have been the victim of gunshot wounds. His next of kin were due to officially identify his body at a post mortem on Wednesday.

Police said they had spoken to dozens of people and carried out a full forensic examination of the area in the hours following the discovery of the body.

Part of the scene remained cordoned off Wednesday.

A police spokesperson said the 27-year-old victim had spent the early part of Monday night, 29 December, at Welly’s Cool Spot.

‘People have come forward to report that they heard sounds similar to gunshots in the area of Sound Way on Monday about 10pm. There is also a report of gunshots being heard around 3am on Tuesday morning.

‘Despite the fact that these sounds were heard, no reports were made to the RCIPS at the time,’ the spokesperson said.

Detective Chief Inspector Peter Kennett, who is leading the inquiry, said police were ‘keeping an open mind about the motive for the murder’.

Mr. Kennett said Wednesday that his team was trying to establish the last movements of the victim.

‘If you were in the bar on Monday and you have not already spoken to my officers, then please call the incident room,’ he said.

He added: ‘The victim was very well known in the area. If you saw or spoke to him on Monday night, we would be very keen to speak to you.’

Powell was wearing a white marina sleeveless T-shirt, black faded three-quarter length jeans with a scroll logo on the back left and black shoes.

‘If you did not know the victim but saw anyone answering this description on Monday night, or in the early hours of Tuesday morning, please get in touch,’ Mr. Kennett said.

He described as ‘concerning’ the fact that people heard gunshots on Monday night and Tuesday morning, but did not call police.

Powell had been a defendant in a shooting case stemming from shots fired at a car with two occupants in School Road in September 2008. He was found not guilty by a jury in July this year.

Last Tuesday, 22 December, he appeared in court on charges of threatening violence, disorderly conduct in a police station, damage to property and disorderly conduct and had been ordered to reappear before the court on 26 January.

Powell’s killing brings to eight the number of people killed violently in Cayman this year – one more than 2008, which was acknowledged as Cayman’s worst year for homicides.

Anyone with information can call the murder incident room at George Town police station on 244-2924 or Crime Stoppers 800-8477 (TIPS).