Cayman marks World Kidney Day

Cayman is marking World Kidney Day
by offering free health screenings to the public and lectures on kidney health
to medical staff.

The Health Services Authority will
provide health screenings for blood pressure, blood sugar and weight checks at
the entrance of the Cayman Islands Hospital in George Town today [Thursday].

The screenings will be carried out
from 10am to 2pm.

The Health Services Authority is working
with the Cayman Islands Kidney Foundation, St. Matthew’s University, the Cayman
Diabetes Association and the Diabetic Support Group, Cayman, to offer the free
tests.

World Kidney Day, which is five years
old this year, is observed on the second Thursday of March in more than 100
countries. This year’s theme is “Diabetes and the Kidney”.

Later today, internist and
nephrologist Dr. Frits Hendriks from the Grand Harbour Medical Centre, who is chairman
of the Cayman Islands Kidney Foundation, will deliver a lecture on diabetic nephropathy
(kidney disease). Dr. Rosemarie Wright Pascoe, senior lecturer at the
Department of Medicine at the University of the West Indies will speak on
glucose control, diabetes, and their connection with chronic renal disease.

The lectures will be held from
5.30pm to 8pm and all private and Health Services Authority providers in Cayman
are invited. It will be held in the Hibiscus Conference Room and attendees can
get Continuing Medical Education credits.

Refreshments will be served at both
events.

Recently, Cayman National donated $1,500
to the Cayman Islands Kidney Foundation to help its work in promoting kidney
health.

The cheque was accepted by Dr.
Hendriks on behalf of the Kidney Foundation from Cayman National Bank’s marketing
manager Shari Whittaker.

“Diabetes type 2 is the leading
cause of end stage kidney failure worldwide, and dramatically increasing, also
in Cayman,” said Dr. Hendriks.

In the United States, a 2007 study
showed that nearly a third of the estimated 18 million Americans with type 2
diabetes had chronic kidney disease, and about 20 per cent had diabetic eye
disease and foot problems.

Cayman has an estimated 3,220
diabetics. The Health Services Authority has 2,255 registered diabetics,
accounting for 70 per cent of diagnosed diabetics. The remaining 30 per cent
are treated by private doctors, but health experts say many others may be undiagnosed.

0
0

NO COMMENTS