Police bust up hostage scheme

Royal Cayman Islands Police said Tuesday that they had broken up an attempted abduction for ransom case involving a young man from a wealthy family. 

The young man was abducted on Thursday, 18 March, according to police. He managed to escape his captors late Friday afternoon, just hours before RCIPS officers were set to move in and arrest the men.

The kidnap victim suffered some injuries to his arms, legs and face and was taken to George Town hospital for treatment. He was expected to recover.

The abductors allegedly threatened to kill the young man if his family did not pay a substantial ransom. 

Two Honduran men were nabbed at the Grand Cayman airport within the past few days – one on Saturday and another on Tuesday morning – attempting to leave the country. 

The identities of the two suspects, one aged 36 and the other aged 28, were not immediately released because they had not been charged with a crime.Both were foreign workers who were resident here in the Islands.

RCIPS Commissioner David Baines said the two men did not personally know their victim, but knew enough about his family to believe they might be able to pay “hundreds of thousands of dollars” in ransom money. 

“It was a well-planned and orchestrated offence,” Mr. Baines said Tuesday. “The victim was not targeted at random.” 

This case is believed to be the first abduction for ransom incident to have occurred in the Cayman Islands. 

“None of us can recall any incidents of hostage taking in the Cayman Islands,” Mr. Baines said, adding that such incidents had occurred in other jurisdictions around Caribbean. 

Mr. Baines said the abduction incident was first reported to police on 18 March, and a team was immediately put in place to investigate the matter – led by Deputy Commissioner Stephen Brougham. He also said Detective Superintendent Marlon Bodden was dispatched to help the family deal with the crisis and advise them on how to speak with the abductors. 

The family was allegedly told by the abductors not to contact the police, but the family did so anyway.

Mr. Baines did not state how the young man managed to get away from his captors on Friday, or how police pinpointed their location on Grand Cayman.

Mr. Brougham, who has extensive training in hostage taking and abduction for ransom cases in the UK, was also assisted by officers from the Jamaica Constabulary Force and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.

“By any standard, this was a professional operation,” Mr. Baines said of the six-day long ordeal.

Please check back to www.compasscayman.com for more updates. Read the full story in Thursday’s Caymanian Compass… 



Comments are closed.