The Central Tenders Committee has
delayed until next week a decision on who will win the contract to remove the
remaining scrap metal from Mount Trashmore.
The committee had been due to
choose on Friday, 2 July, one of the three bidders who submitted tenders to buy
and remove the scrap, but because a report from the Department of Environmental
Health was not ready, the decision is now likely to be made at the committee’s
next meeting on Friday, 16 July.
Roydell Carter, director of the
Department of Environmental Health, said there was a “logistical” issue in
completing the report by 2 July.
“We did not complete the report on
time for that meeting. We’ll have it for the next meeting,” he said.
Once a contract is awarded, Mr.
Carter estimated it would take about a week for the designated company to start
work at the George Town landfill and a total of three to four weeks for the
remaining thousands of tons of scrap metal to be shipped off island.
A tender bid for the purchasing,
processing and removal of the scrap metal ended on 18 June.
Earlier this year, the Central
Tenders Committee awarded Cardinal D. Ltd a contract to remove 6,000 tons of
scrap metal from
The company paid the Cayman Islands
Government $50 per ton for the scrap and shipped it to China for recycling in