Murder trial set for June 2011

20 defendants appear in new session

The murder trial for three people
charged in the March death of Alrick Ricardo Peddie is set to start on 13 June,
2011.

Roger D. Bush, Jose Sanchez and a
male teenager responded “Not guilty” when the charge was put to them on
Wednesday, the opening of a new Grand Court session.

They are accused of killing Mr.
Peddie, 25, at an address on Willie Farrington Drive, West Bay, on 24 March.
When they first appeared in court on 1 April, Bush was said to be 35, Sanchez
23 and the third defendant 17. Wednesday’s court list described the teen as
“young person”.

After the arraignment, Defence
Attorney Nicola Moore, who represents Bush, asked for disclosure of more
evidence by the Crown so that the start of the trial would not be delayed. She
pointed out that the defendants have been in custody since 26 March.

Attorneys Lee Freeman and Ben
Tonner endorsed her comments. Chief Justice Anthony Smellie set a hearing in
chambers for 29 October. The trial is expected to last three weeks.

Twenty defendants were scheduled to
attend the new court session so that dates could be set for their matters to be
heard.

One defendant, Brook Barbara Nowak,
appeared from custody although she had been granted bail in Summary Court.
Attorney John Furniss explained that his client surrendered voluntarily at the
time of her preliminary inquiry last week. He asked for the matter to be
mentioned again on 12 November, by which time substantial progress should be
made, he said.

Nowak, 18, faces charges in
connection with a fatal traffic accident on the Esterley Tibbetts Highway
around 12.30am Tuesday, 3 August. Feder Ann Faustino, a passenger in another
car involved in the collision was killed.

Two teens and two pre-teens on bail
were directed to return to court on 22 October for a charge of robbery. They
are accused of stealing four large pizzas and two bottles of 7-Up from a
delivery man for Gino’s Pizzeria and using force against him on 28 July. Their
trial has been scheduled for five days starting 23 May, 2011.

Devon Anglin, 24, appeared on the
charge of murdering Jeremiah Barnes, age 4, in West Bay on 15 February. No
trial date has been set. Anglin is scheduled to return to court later this
month.

Comments are closed.