MLA charged with obstruction

TOPDewayneSeymourLEAD

Bodden Town MLA Dwayne Seymour is
due to appear in court next month to answer charges related to a fight at a
Grand Cayman hotel in May.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police
Service released the following statement about the matter in response to
requests for information made by the Compass:

“Police can confirm that a
41-year-old man has been charged in connection with an incident which occurred
at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites on Saturday, 1 May 2010.

“The man has been charged with
attempting to obstruct, prevent, pervert or defeat the course of justice.

“It is anticipated he will appear
in court on 9 November 2010.”

Although police did not name Mr.
Seymour, the Compass contacted the MLA who confirmed he had received a summons
in the case for 9 November.

He declined to discuss specifics of
the charges.

“I want to say a lot, but I need to
speak with my attorney,” Mr. Seymour said. 
According to a police report on the 1 May incident, three men were
arrested after officers received a call regarding an assault at the Grand
Cayman Beach Suites on West Bay Road.

The Bodden Town MLA did provide a brief recorded statement to local television station Cayman 27 Thursday night in which he said he was “completely unaware” of the circumstances described in the charges. 

The statement was not provided to the Compass, which first broke the story about Mr. Seymour being charged on www.caycompass.com. 

One man was released at the time
and the other two were released on police bail after the incident.

Two men were hurt in the fight and
were treated at the Cayman Islands Hospital for minor injuries.

At the time, police did not
identify Mr. Seymour as being among those arrested, but the United Democratic
Party confirmed that the MLA had been arrested.

TOPDewayneSeymourSTORY

Mr. Seymour