Upset suspect damaged police car tyres

Young man had no previous convictions

Jaron Calvin Solomon was placed on
probation for two years, ordered to perform 60 hours of community service and pay
$2,000 to the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service after he pleaded guilty to damaging
nine tyres on police cars.

Magistrate Nova Hall took into
account that fact that Solomon, 21, had no previous convictions. Conditions of
probation include attending an anger management course and receiving individual
counselling so he won’t take advice from people who get him into trouble.

In Summary Court last week, Crown
Counsel Kenneth Ferguson said Solomon had purchased a phone the same day it was
stolen from the person who had just bought it. The price was such that Solomon
should have known the sale was not legitimate and he was arrested on suspicion
of handling stolen goods. That was in February.

On 7 June, while on bail for the
above charge, Solomon reported to the Bodden Town Police Station as requested.
He asked for a specific officer and became upset when told the officer was not
present. He sat for a while, asked again for the officer who still was not
there, and then walked out.

He was heard to throw something on
the floor, which turned out to be his electronic monitor ankle bracelet.

Later, an officer drove into the
station parking lot and realised that tyres on three vehicles were damaged.
When CCTV footage of the area was reviewed, Solomon was observed using a knife
to cut the tyres. He was arrested the next day.

Mr. Ferguson said the nine tyres
were valued at $2,350.96.

Defence Attorney John Furniss said
Solomon’s difficulties started when he bought the phone without really thinking
twice when it was offered to him. “It’s clear he closed his eyes and didn’t ask
questions,” which was why he pleaded guilty.

Mr. Furniss said the incidents at
the police station apparently occurred with the encouragement of someone who
had accompanied Solomon. He cut his electronic monitor and threw it down and
then damaged the tyres.

“He realises on reflection how
stupid it was and how he just added to his own problems,” Mr. Furniss told the
court. His client had worked hard to find a good job and now it was no longer
open to him because of these convictions.

A social inquiry report indicated
that probation officers thought they could “set him back on the right track,”
Mr. Furniss said.

The magistrate agreed it would be
best if Solomon were subject to a certain level of supervision for a while,
hence the probation order. In addition, “I hope the compensation order brings
home the error of your ways,” she told him. Along with the $2,000 to police, he
is to pay $150 to the owner of the phone.

Payments will be through the courts
office within the next
nine months.

Comments are closed.