George Town keep Cup hopes alive

George Town Sports Club have a
tough road to repeat lifting the Digicel Cup but so far they are making

The dynamic side came from behind
to turn back Elite Sports Club 3-2 in the preliminary games of the Cayman
Islands Football Association 2010-2011 Digicel Cup.

The match was held last Sunday
evening at the TE McField Sports Complex in George Town. George Town joins Roma
United, East End and Scholars International in the semi-finals which will be
staged next month.

Gabriel Godet and Alex Belcher
scored in the 44th and 45th respectively for Elite. Fabian Malcolm, Justin
Pierre and Ian Lindo netted in the same order 70th, 72nd and 91st minute

Both teams came out with the
enthusiasm to get to the next level from the first sound of referee Derrick
Williams’ whistle. However, after forty four minutes, Elite went ahead with a
strike from Gabriel Godet and Alex Belcher took the score line to 2-0 at

George Town did not take this
lightly and regrouped. In the second half it was a different game plan for the
defending champions as they marked the Premier League frontrunners with gusto.
George Town also made several good attacking runs to force exceptional saves
from goal-keeper James Josephs.

In the 70th minute ace forward
Fabian Malcolm took advantage of a disorganized back line and struck goal for
George Town. Elite were not able to overcome the shock as in two minutes the
creative Justin Pierre was on target with his strike to level the score. The
hunt was on for the clincher in regulation time. George Town continued to pack
pressure on the now deflated Elite, who tried frantically to soak up the
attacks. Those efforts would pay off for George Town as in the 91st minute
captain Ian Lindo scored from the penalty spot resulting from a foul in the
penalty area to end the game 3-2.

East End also had to come from
behind to take their place in the semi-finals by beating Bodden Town 2-1.
Bodden Town took the lead in the 13th minute with a goal from Charlo McLean.
Carson Fagan levelled the score in the 32nd minute ending the game 1-1 at the
end of regulation time. During extra time East End’s Dominique Pearson scored
the clincher for his team in the 102nd minute.

In the other games, played at the
Ed Bush Stadium in West Bay, Roma United defeated Tigers 4-3 and Scholars
International stopped Future 2-1. Both games went into extra time as well.

Nahun Rodriquez placed Tigers ahead
in the 9th minute from the penalty spot but Adrian Dawkins responded for Roma
in the 38th minute. This score line remained for the duration of the first

Kevin McField was the first to
score in the second half, sending the former champions ahead in the 46th
minute. Damally Howelle followed in the 79th minute making the score 3-1. One
minute later Rodriquez scored for Tigers taking the score to 3-2 and in the
85th minute Lende Carter found the back of the net and both teams were locked
at 3-3 forcing the game into extra time. In the 100th minute lanky Craig
Carridice scored the clincher to land Roma into the semis.

Future Sports Club and Scholars
International had their share of a tough game as both teams played to a 0-0
score line in the first half. In the second half the game got more interesting
as in the 48th minute O’Neil Taylor placed Scholars international ahead. This
score was erased in the 51st minute when Demion Williams equalized for Future
SC ending regulation time in a deadlock.

Eric Brown netted the all important
goal in the 110th minute of extra time placing Scholars International
comfortably in the semis. The semi-finals will be staged over two legs in
January. The semi-final draw will be held in January at a location to be announced.


For more on the competitions or
other football events contact the football association office at 949-5775 or
email [email protected] or [email protected].

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now