Van fire erupts, woman and child escape


A woman narrowly escaped her
vehicle with her two-year-old son after it caught on fire on Shedden Road
just after 4pm Tuesday.  

 Juliet Holness said she had
just pulled out of the Esso station at the corner of Shedden and North Sound
Roads when the engine of her Nissan Quest started smoking.  

 About 200 feet from the
petrol station, flames began shooting out. 

“My foot was on fire,” Ms
Holness said, showing her left foot.

“But I couldn’t think of
anything else but my son. I grabbed him as quick as I could and ran

The little boy, Josiah, was unhurt.

An ambulance came to the scene to
check out Ms Holness’ foot. 

Cayman Islands Fire Service crews
arrived within minutes to douse the van, which was enveloped in heavy smoke.

It was not immediately clear what
caused the fire, but it appeared the vehicle had simply overheated.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now


  1. Cars do not catch on fire when they simply overheat. What a ridiculous thing to say!
    Its a little more serious than that — perhaps an electrical problem? Ask a mechanic before you put something so absurd in a newspaper article.