Fire Pros scorched Harry’s

Something had to give in the Heineken Sunday League at the weekend when second placed Fire Pros Boca Juniors clashed with third placed Harry’s FC.

With both sides still harbouring title ambitions, games are running out to catch the league leaders Agua FC so it was a crunch match. The only previous meeting between the two sides this season ended in a slender victory to Fire Pros, and Sunday’s meeting had a similar outcome. Once again Fire Pros Mike Ebanks claimed all his side’s goals in a 3-1 win that keeps them only two points off the pace at the top, but leaves Harry’s title aspirations all but extinguished.

Harry’s were awarded a penalty after 12 minutes and Irons McKenzie took the spot-kick and buried it low. Taking the lead was as good as it got for Harry’s as Ebanks got into his stride, hitting an equaliser five minutes later and then on 34 minutes finishing smartly from a through ball. After the interval Harry’s pushed forward in search of an equaliser, but as a consequence left large gaps in their defence which Fire Pros exploited when Ebanks was played clear through on goal and coolly took the ball around the keeper to claim his hat-trick on 66 minutes. Harry’s are six points off the lead with two games remaining, but have an inferior goal difference to Agua, meaning their chances of retaining their league crown are slim.

Agua meanwhile brushed aside MC Devils in their game at Ed Bush with an impressive 8-1 victory. Pelligrini and Massimo Tirotta got Agua off to a dream start then Fajette chipped in. Devils did manage to pull a goal back before half-time through Marcus McKillop. Into the second half and it was one way traffic towards the Devils’ goal with their defence being breached another five times thanks to a Stephan Kormos hat-trick, Tirotta’s second of the game and rounding off the scoring was Erwin Kormos.

Elsewhere CML Claymores and Old Boys shared seven goals between them in an entertaining game at the TE McField Annex. CML who came out on top thanks to a deserved last minute Paul Valenti strike from outside the box for a 4-3 win. Old Boys took a 1-0 lead in at the break thanks to Henry Mitchell but after the interval CML hit back and went ahead thanks to Chris Turrell and Simon Conway.

Old Boys fought back and Mitchell scored two individual goals in the space of two minutes to make it a 3-2. Thereafter, CML’s pressure proved too much and allowed Luke Ascot to equalise and then came Valenti’s last minute winner.

The final game from the weekend was a resounding ten nil win for International Kickers against a dispirited AC Lunetta side, with Marcos Tinoco claiming himself a hat-trick.

For further information on the Heineken Sunday League including complete stats log onto