Cash has ammo rolling in

One firearm turned in

More than 300 rounds of ammunition and one firearm have been turned in since the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service ‘cash-for-guns’ programme started on 1 August.  

“Individuals have received remuneration for that,” RCIPS Superintendent Marlon Bodden said Monday, 

Officers also noted one .380-caliber handgun had been turned in earlier in the month.  

Police were offering $25 per 10 bullets received under the programme, so payments from the fund established by the High Impact Media company will have totalled somewhere around $825 thus far for the ammunition alone.  

Up to $200 was offered for each operational firearm turned in by 31 August, including working pellet guns and air rifles, police said.  

In the first gun amnesty programme offered in July, police had just two firearms – a shotgun and a rifle – turned in. There was one BB gun turned in during the period. There were 144 rounds of ammo surrendered as well.  

According to Robert Baraud of High Impact Media, his company has set aside $2,000 for police to offer to those who turn in weapons or ammunition. Additional donations for the programme will be sought from the private sector.  

Mr. Bodden said he was disappointed with the results of the July gun amnesty programme. During a 2010 gun amnesty, 26 weapons were turned in along with 233 rounds of ammunition.  

“Look back … at the first stage of the amnesty, to ask me if I’m disappointed the answer would be ‘yes’,” Mr. Bodden said. “We have had so many incidents … during the amnesty that have involved the use of firearms where injuries have resulted and criminal activities have been committed.  

A series of robberies and attempted robberies where shots were fired started with the 28 June shooting of Cayman Islands Brewery worker Kemar Golding. The shooting of 57-year-old Texaco station employee Medsadie Connor on 13 July was followed by two armed robberies in quick succession. Those involved Delworth’s Esso in George Town and Reflections Food-4-Less.  

Mr. Bodden said no arrests had been made in connection with either of the incidents where the individuals had been shot. “We hope this will give an extra incentive for individuals who didn’t take the opportunity to hand in unwanted, unlicensed or illegal firearms,” Mr. Bodden said.  

The RCIPS last ran a cash-for-guns programme back in 2002, Mr. Bodden said. 

Baines

RCIPS Commissioner David Baines shows where individuals can deposit their guns and ammo during last year’s amnesty. – Photo: File
0
0

NO COMMENTS