March Gov: No more Tempura enquiries

A former Crown witness in the Operation Tempura police corruption investigation asked Cayman Islands Governor Duncan Taylor last week to “get off the fence” with regard to a full-scale review of former Cayman Governor Stuart Jack’s actions in relation to the case.

According to correspondence the Caymanian Compass has received, penned by United Kingdom’s overseas territories Minister Henry Bellingham, it looks as though Mr. Taylor has picked a side.

“The governor is not convinced of the need for, or merit of, any further substantive enquiries into the Operation Tempura police corruption investigation,” Mr. Bellingham wrote to the former Crown witness, John Evans.

Schools to cost $100 million each

Building the new Clifton Hunter and John Gray high school campuses will cost almost $100 million each, Education Minister Rolston Anglin told a Finance Committee meeting Tuesday.

The disclosure of the amount came as government ministries sought additional funding totalling more than $49 million for supplementary budget items.

Ritz developer pushed for import duty resolution

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman owner/developer tried for more than two-and-a-half years to negotiate a new arrangement for repaying nearly $6.2 million of deferred import duties accrued on building materials used to build the resort.

Simultaneously, developer Mike Ryan and his companies tried to negotiate other concessions to make the Dragon Bay project viable, including obtaining freehold ownership for the leasehold property and a licence for the resort to produce its own water.

Clarke family leaves ‘numb and helpless’

The family of missing man Nathan Clarke say they are leaving Grand Cayman none the wiser about what happened to him.

In a statement released via the Royal Cayman Islands Police service, Mr. Clarke’s parents Elizabeth and Randell, brother Dan and sister Sam thanks the Cayman public for its help in trying to find Mr. Clarke.

“We leave here feeling numb and helpless, but take with us an understanding of Nat’s life here.

The love and respect you all have for him gives us hope that answers will soon be found,” the family said.

Payments missing in government grabs of private property

Some landowners who had to forfeit their property for the building of the East-West Arterial Highway more than five years ago are still waiting for their money.

The Cayman Islands government used its powers of compulsory acquisition of private property to build the road, but about 40 per cent of compensation claims have yet to be settled.

Kerran suspect released from bail conditions

Cayman Islands police confirmed Friday that investigators do not have sufficient evidence to charge a suspect arrested last year in connection with the assumed death of a missing nurse.

As reported earlier in the Caymanian Compass, although no trace of Kerran Baker, 25, has been found, the circumstances surrounding her disappearance and the findings of police investigators led the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service to classify her case as a murder.

0
0

NO COMMENTS