Old Boys showed Shellaz they are not too decrepit

Heineken Sunday League teams welcomed the cooler, overcast conditions at the weekend as action turned to the CML Cup first round second leg matches.  

All four ties were evenly balanced, but the most eye-catching result of the round was Old Boys, who comprehensively defeated Shellaz to reach the semifinals. 

The first leg was a thriller, finishing all square at 3-3. Shellaz were favourites this time though because of Old Boys’ patchy league form.  

Yet Old Boys won 4-0 in a brilliant performance. George McKenzie was brought down for a penalty and he got the chance to take it twice to score. Primo Castellan hit the second before the break.  

Old Boys midfielder Paul Chivers grabbed a brace to wrap it up for a final 7-3 aggregate victory. 

The second game at Ed Bush Stadium in West Bay, between cup holders Harry’s and Maples Revolution, was delicately balanced from the first leg at 1-0 in Harry’s favour. Goal scorer Floyd “Irons” McKenzie had an influential role again.  

Harry’s scored first through a looping Dan Stuber header on 24 minutes to give his side a halftime lead.  

Harry’s Sean Junker ran in and hit home the rebound from a saved penalty for their second.  

Then McKenzie’s chipped shot inside the area was delicately lobbed over the keeper for the third before Paul Smith made it 4-0 in the waning seconds.  

Maples got a consolation goal through Dave Holland immediately after Smith’s, but Harry’s still went through 5-1 on aggregate to meet Old Boys. 

At the TE McField Annex, CML Claymores faced Agua with the aggregate one apiece from the first leg. 

Agua used the wind advantage during the first half and made the breakthrough on 18 minutes, thanks to a Luciano De Riso strike. 

After the break, CML pushed Agua back deep into their own half for long periods, but could not score.  

Agua countered on 52 minutes as Nicolas Persico finished off a move for 2-0. Facing going out of the competition that they put their name to, CML pushed even more forward but Agua took advantage of an open back line and Marc Matta put his side three up and the game out of reach with a 4-1 aggregate score. 

The final game saw Triple Crown Wanderers versus Latitude 19 Boca Juniors with the Wanderers 2-1 ahead from the first leg.  

In the first half, Wanderers had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down and Boca had Ariel Tatum and in-form striker Henry Mitchell creating opportunities with clever link-up play.  

Tatum was rewarded in the 53rd minute when he headed home to level on aggregate.  

Wanderers pressed and scored eight minutes from time when Gavin Kane’s perfect cross found Ricky Parsons unmarked to head in for a final 1-1 score on the day and a 3-2 aggregate win for Wanderers, who will meet Agua next. 

The semifinals are over two legs, on 10 March and 14 April with a place on 12 May at stake.