Victim found in burning car at West Bay home
Frederic Bise, 40, was found in the trunk of a burning car on Friday, Feb. 8, 2008. Police said Mr. Bise suffered blunt force injuries to his head prior to being placed in the hatchback of the vehicle, a Mitsubishi Outlander, which was parked in the driveway of the Mount Pleasant Road home he rented.
The car was set on fire in an apparent attempt to cover up the killing, police said at the time.
Although police did not identify the two men charged with the murder, the Caymanian Compass has confirmed that 33-year-old Chad Anglin and 42-year-old Leonard Antonio Ebanks each were accused of one count of murder in relation to Mr. Bise’s killing.
They are both now housed at Northward and are due to appear in court on Friday, Oct. 25 to answer the murder charges.
RCIPS detectives, while declining to divulge any details about the two men charged in the case, did say that both had figured in the original investigation into Mr. Bise’s death.
Speaking at a press briefing at police headquarters in George Town on Thursday afternoon, RCIPS Inspector Dennis Walkington said Ebanks had featured in the original investigation and that another man had been arrested in connection with the killing at the time.
“Yes, there was somebody arrested and that person was never charged,” said Mr. Walkington.
The RCIPS had arrested a suspect in connection with the homicide within about a week of Mr. Bise’s death. The then 28-year-old man was taken into custody on suspicion of murder but was never charged.
Until Thursday, no other arrests had been made in connection with the 2008 killing.
Officers with the RCIPS Cold Case Unit reviewed more than 100 statements in connection with the case both here and overseas in a follow-up investigation that lasted 20 months. “The Bise family has been kept fully updated throughout the review process,” Mr. Walkington said. “They have shown remarkable resolve and courage and we are pleased that they will now see those responsible brought before the court.
“This is the first case which has been reviewed by the Cold Case Unit and we can assure the communities of the Cayman Islands that it will be first case of many. No case is ever closed; we will relentlessly pursue those who have committed such crimes and bring them to justice. After all that’s what the families deserve.”
The cold case unit was established in 2010. It re-evaluates previously unsolved homicides in the Cayman Islands.