Companies to be reviewed in two months
Representatives for three employers were in Summary Court last Thursday for a continuing review of charges that allege failure to pay into a pension fund for employees.
After hearing of the progress that had been made in each case, Magistrate Grace Donalds adjourned all three matters until Dec. 19.
Senior Pensions Officer Charles Best attended from the Cayman Islands Department of Labour and Pensions.
Attorney Michael Alberga spoke on behalf of the Hurlstone companies, including Hurlstone Ltd., Pro-Electric, Construction Equipment Services Ltd., Construction Management Ltd., Cayman Steel Ltd., and Hurlstone General Contractors. He said there had been several meetings with the Pensions Office and the pension provider. In his opinion, what had transpired was that the charges had been misconceived. “We’re trying to work out a settlement and come up with a correct figure,” he told the court.
Mr. Alberga said Mr. Best and his office “have been working very hard to straighten out the matter.” He asked for another mention and hoped the matter would go away at that point.
Charges against the Hurlstone companies relate to the period between March 2008 and February 2010. They first came to court in 2011.
On behalf of Reid’s Premier Tours, Mr. Alberga reported that a settlement had been agreed. A schedule of payment is to be worked out. “Hopefully, at the end of the day, the charges will be withdrawn,” he commented. The charges have been before the court since 2008 and relate to a period between 1998 and 2008.
A representative of Creative Expressions Beauty and Barber attended without an attorney. Crown counsel Candia James consulted with Mr. Best and advised the court that the employer was up to date on agreed payments.
Two other employers in court recently are currently paying $5,000 per month to make up arrears.