Some $138,000 raised for children’s charities
A record $138,000 was raised to aid children’s charities during the National Council of Voluntary Organisations’ 35th annual telethon on Saturday night.
“This is the highest total we have ever had,” said Janice Wilson, chief executive officer of the NCVO.
Performers, musicians and poets put on a night of free entertainment at the Prospect Playhouse while volunteers manned the phones to take pledges from members of the community during the televised five-hour fundraising marathon.
A large chunk of the cash had been raised in advance in a variety of community events, including dress-down days and street collections.
From firefighters and schoolchildren to bar staff and accountancy firms, all sections of the community came together to host events and raise money for the NCVO.
But it was donations on the night from members of the public that took the overall total to record levels.
“We had a great public response on the night and got donations that we weren’t anticipating,” said Ms. Wilson. “We ended up with way more than we expected.”
The money will go toward funding the NCVO’s major programs, including the Nadine Andreas Residential Foster Home, Miss Nadine’s Pre-School and the Jack & Jill Nursery.
Ms. Wilson said everyone involved, including the entertainers, presenters and television crews, had given their time for free to ensure there was no cost in putting on the event, and every cent went to good causes.
“I just want to say a big thanks to all the volunteers, to all the entertainers and to everyone who supported us and made a donation,” she said.
Hosted by a variety of on-air personalities and produced by Barrie and Chuck Quappe, the event’s musical acts included Funk Republic, Swanky Kitchen Band, and Cayman Brac’s Quincy Brown, among others.
Last year’s telethon raised more than $128,000.