Off-duty officer identifies hit-and-run driver

An off-duty police officer followed a suspected hit-and-run driver home Sunday night, leading to the man’s arrest shortly after the accident.  

Royal Cayman Islands Police officers are still investigating the crash, which happened around 8:30 p.m. on Reverend Blackman Road in West Bay.  

According to police, a green Honda Aspire struck a man walking in the road and fled. The off-duty officer saw the collision and followed the Honda to an address on Gaston Smith Drive in West Bay. He then called other officers to the address, leading to the Honda driver’s arrest for leaving the scene of an accident and suspected drunk driving.  

The pedestrian, also a resident of West Bay, was taken to the hospital with a broken leg, among other injuries. He is listed in stable condition.  

RCIPS Superintendent Adrian Seales praised the work of the off-duty officer in tracking down the hit-and-run suspect.  

“It is a callous act to hit a pedestrian, bicyclist or anyone and leave them on the roadside without calling for help or medical assistance,” Mr. Seales said.  

There have been at least two hit-and-run incidents this year in Grand Cayman. No arrests have been made in the late January crash, in which a 14-year-old boy suffered major injuries and his older brother was also hospitalized after they were hit on a pedestrian crossing outside Savannah Primary School. 

According to the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service, the two were crossing the pedestrian walkway on the four-lane section of Shamrock Road at the school just before 7 p.m. Police said a “light colored sports car” was heading east toward Bodden Town and struck both young men. It did not stop, police said. 

A few days earlier on West Bay Road, two American tourists were injured when they were struck by a car that mounted the sidewalk. 

The male tourist suffered serious facial injuries and was airlifted to the U.S. His wife suffered a head injury and was admitted to the Cayman Islands Hospital, according to police. 

Police said the driver in that incident, a 49-year-old George Town man, lost control of his car. He was arrested for allegedly leaving the scene of an accident and dangerous driving. 

Comments are closed.