The Cayman Islands Red Cross is celebrating International Red Cross Day, which falls on Friday, May 8, with a month of activities.
Events kick off with an annual dinner and dance on Saturday, May 9, at the Westin resort. Entertainment will be provided by Rod Stewart tribute artist Doug Varty.
Jondo Obi, branch director of the Cayman Islands Red Cross, said, “We want to urge people who have been curious about the Red Cross to come learn more about us. There is so much that needs to be done.” She said while the work is ongoing, it is also incredibly rewarding because it challenges all those who participate to learn more about themselves and their communities.
Ms. Obi said she is also proud of the assistance of volunteers. “We are a small branch, but we are incredibly dynamic, active and involved in our community.”
Nepal earthquake appeal
The Red Cross is also helping those affected by the earthquake in Nepal.
“As many have seen in the news, the Red Cross is playing an active role in Nepal and has been since the earthquake,” said Carolina Ferreira, Red Cross deputy director. “Locally, the CIRC’s Nepal earthquake appeal will run for the entire month of May so that those wishing to assist the most vulnerable in Nepal are able to do so.”
Events this month
- May 1-31: Nepal Earthquake International Appeal
- May 9: Annual dinner dance gala
- May 9 and 16: Deals On Wheels mobile shop visits East End and West Bay
- May 11: Informative session on the basics of HIV and AIDS
- May 16: “Darkness to Light,” child sexual abuse prevention training
- May 23: Thrift Shop quarterly bag blowout sale
- May 26: New volunteer orientation
- Every Tuesday: Free HIV testing at Red Cross headquarters.
For more details, or to donate, contact [email protected].