Fire damages generator in CUC engine room

A fire that broke out in an engine room at the Caribbean Utilities Company Monday morning was quickly extinguished, causing only superficial damage to a generating unit, a company spokeswoman said. 

Two employees who extinguished the fire were taken to the hospital for a precautionary evaluation of possible smoke inhalation. 

“All of our employees are safe,” said CUC spokeswoman Pat Bynoe-Clarke. 

The fire broke out in Engine Room 5 around 10:33 a.m., according to Ms. Bynoe-Clarke. She said the fire was the result of a broken fuel line that leaked fuel onto the exhaust system of one of the generating units. The generating unit is expected to return to service later this week, she said. 

“Our team worked quickly to stop the unit, isolate the fuel source and extinguish the fire,” Ms. Bynoe-Clark said in a press statement. 

Two fire crews and an ambulance responded to the scene after the company called 911. At 10:52 a.m. the fire crews entered the facility; they gave an all-clear at 11:13 a.m. 

Acting Fire Chief Ronnie Dixon said the fire emitted a significant amount of smoke. 

To make up for the temporary loss of capacity, CUC returned to service other generating units which had been offline for scheduled maintenance. As some of these units were returned to service, there were brief rotating outages, Ms. Bynoe-Clarke said. 

As of 11:55 a.m., power had been restored to all customers. 

Comments are closed.