The man accused in a series of indecent assaults on girls at a primary school where he worked is fit to enter a plea, Magistrate Valdis Foldats said during a brief hearing Thursday morning.
The Bodden Town man, who was 19 when police charged him with 10 counts of indecent assault earlier this year, worked at a government primary school as a special support aide until late last year when Ministry of Education officials received its first reports of potential sexual abuse against girls in the man’s care.
The magistrate told the defendant and his lawyer that they would have to enter a plea at their next court date, set for Nov. 26.
The charges involve seven girls at the school. The Cayman Compass is not naming the school or the accused to protect the privacy of the alleged victims. The man began working at the school in September 2014, but resigned Dec. 1 of that year shortly after the allegations came to light.
The defendant’s attorney, Karin Thompson, told the court she had not yet seen the psychological report but that her client and his family were anxious to move ahead with the court proceedings. Given the serious nature of the charges, Magistrate Foldats said, it would be in everyone’s interest to take their time with the facts of the case and the new psychological assessment.