Bail withheld in rape case

A magistrate denied bail Monday to a man charged with rape.

After hearing details of the rape, alleged to have occurred last month, Magistrate Valdis Foldats withheld bail and ordered the defendant to appear in Grand Court on March 11.

In Summary Court on Monday afternoon, Crown counsel Kenneth Ferguson objected to bail, noting that the defendant, 35, was currently on bail for another matter and was also on probation for a previous offense.

The rape charge against him related to an incident in the early hours of Jan. 23. Mr. Ferguson said the defendant was known to the complainant. She told officers that she and the man were talking and he offered to take her to get something to eat. Instead, he turned off on a dirt road, where the incident occurred.

Afterward, he left her and drove off. The woman had to walk more than a mile, until she saw a garbage truck and asked the driver for help. He called police and the woman was taken to hospital for examination.

Police subsequently identified the place of the incident as a remote area off Sparkys Drive in George Town. They later went to the scene with the woman and found various items. The defendant is also charged with assault and causing intentional harassment, alarm or distress, in relation to the incident.

Mr. Ferguson said a government camera had caught a car in the area and traced it to the defendant.

Defense attorney Alice Carver said the charge was strenuously denied. Her client had advised that what occurred was consensual. She suggested a strict curfew and electronic monitoring, but the magistrate said she could apply for bail in the Grand Court.